Learn the most important points in operating an HSA program for employer groups. There are special rules for group HSAs and not knowing or following them can jeopardize an employer's HSA program. Learn how to set proper expectations for an employer group and what you must do to ensure compliance. This webinar will focus on the differences in working with groups and the special rules that apply to group plans.
The webinar will cover the following:
Overview of Employer Groups
- Employers, employees and custodians - who does what?
- What is an "employer group?" When do special rules apply? When is it the custodian's responsibility to inform the employer of a special rule?
- What do employers expect from the HSA custodian? Should custodians provide HSA education? Do they have to?
- How should custodians help with enrollment?
- What is the custodian's legal relationship with the employer versus the employee?
Employer HSA Funding - including EMPLOYER FUNDING WORKSHEET*
- What are the rules regarding employer funding of employee HSAs?
- What is the employer required annual notice?
- What happens when an employee turns age 65? Seminar will include an AGE 65 WORKSHEET* that covers these issues in detail.
- How can employers and employees make HSA contributions? How does the custodian help with the different methods?
- How are mistakes fixed? What if the employer and employee disagree on how to fix the mistake? How do custodian's avoid being in the middle?
- Is the IRS reporting for employer groups different than individual HSAs?
Comparability Review - Including COMPARABILITY WORKSHEET*
- What is comparability testing? Whose responsibility is this test?
- What types of discrimination are allowed?
- What's the best timing approach for employers making HSA contributions? Why the timing of HSA contributions matters and how to allow for acceleration.
- Who pays the 35% penalty for failure?
Small Business Owner Issues - including SMALL BUSINESS OWNER GUIDE*
- What custodians need to know about small business owners?
- How the IRS does treats small business owners for HSAs?
Section 125 Plans - Including HSA/FSA/HRA COMPARISION GUIDE*
- Why custodians should know something about Cafeteria plans.
- Why Section 125 plans are crucial for a successful HSA program.
How Does the Taxation/Reporting Work?
- What are the custodian's reporting obligations?
- What are the employers?
- The employees?
- Who keeps this all straight?
*The materials include Worksheets in key areas. The Worksheets are plain English, short, step-by-step guides to walk through the most common and difficult issues in HSAs. The worksheets provided are for internal use by the financial institution and are available for purchase for distribution to customers.
HSAs for Employer Groups: What You Need to Know
Questions and Answers