Have you completed this webinar? Please tell us what you think.
Escrow accounts were once the domain of RESPA and HUD’s Reg. X. But we saw expansion of escrow accounts with flood requirements, Reg. Z’s Higher-Priced Mortgage Loans and the Dodd-Frank Act mandated changes as well. Once an escrow process is running, it just needs maintenance and controls. Banks need to ensure they are managing the escrow process completely from inception of the loan through the final payment and with audits in-between.
In this two-hour webinar we will:
- review the basics of the escrow rules, including which accounts are subject to the rules;
- look at the statements that must be provided, and when and under what conditions they are due, including the initial, annual and loan payoff statements;
- review what you can or must do when there is a deficiency, shortage or a surplus of funds;
- review what you can do to reduce the "payment shock" your borrower suffers when raw land is first taxed as improved property and their payment increases significantly;
- show you how to use customized auditing worksheets to both establish your customers' escrow accounts and to audit them to ensure compliance with the rules.
As an auditor, lender or loan administrator you have responsibilities to provide statements and to properly account for the dollars flowing into and out of escrow accounts. It is important to do it correctly or your bank could face criticism, and your customers financial hardship.
We will show you what needs to be done so that whether you are a pro at managing escrows or they are new to you, you will know how to handle them. It isn't necessary to stop making certain loans just because you feel the escrow accounts are too cumbersome. And we'll discuss what we see for the future, so you will be prepared for the new proposed rules as well.
Escrow Accounts A to Z
Webinar Q & A Document